Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World News

Israel preparing to receive coffin said to contain remains of Shiri Bibas

Israeli authorities say they are preparing to receive the remains of a body said to be that of hostage Shiri Bibas.

A coffin is currently in the hands of the Red Cross and on its way to Israel, a spokesperson for the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office confirmed on Friday.

A spokesperson for the Israeli police said they are preparing to escort the coffin to the Abu Kabir Forensics Center.

Hamas-run Al-Aqsa news reported on Friday that Hamas had handed over what it described as Bibas’ body to the Red Cross, citing Hamas leader Mahmoud Mardawi.

Bibas had been expected to be among the four hostage bodies returned by Hamas on Thursday.

After that handover, the Israeli military confirmed that Shiri’s young sons Kfir and Ariel and another captive Oded Lifshitz were among the bodies. However, during the identification process, it was determined that one of the bodies received was not that of Shiri Bibas, and did not match with any other Israeli hostage.

The Israeli Ministry of Health said that doctors and laboratories with the National Center for Forensic Medicine were preparing to identify the body with “speed and sensitivity.”

It urged the public to avoid spreading rumors and rely only on official sources, emphasizing the need to respect the family’s privacy during this “sensitive time.”

This is a developing story and will be updated.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

You May Also Like

World News

It’s not the full 30-day ceasefire in Ukraine that US President Donald Trump demanded – far from it. But it is a deal with...

World News

South Korea grounded firefighting helicopters following a fatal crash on Wednesday as authorities struggle to contain “unprecedented” wildfires that have ravaged the country’s southeast,...

World News

Peruvian President Dina Boluarte has called for general elections to be held on April 12, 2026, saying she hopes the call can “put an...

World News

The Albanian Cabinet decided on Thursday to shut down TikTok for 12 months, blaming the popular video-sharing platform for inciting violence and bullying, especially...