Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World News

More than 150 female inmates raped and burned to death during Goma jailbreak in DRC, UN says

More than 150 female prisoners were raped and burned to death during a jailbreak last week when fleeing male inmates set fire to a prison in Goma, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a United Nations spokesperson has said.

Between nine and 13 female inmates, “all of whom had also been raped,” survived the blaze, Magango added, citing a judicial source in the DRC.

The male inmates, some of whom were killed by prison guards, plotted a mass escape on January 27 as the M23 rebel alliance battled with Congolese forces in Goma over control of the city, the UN-sponsored Radio Okapi reported Monday.

More than 4,000 detainees fled the Muzenze prison that day, it added, stating that the facility was now “completely empty” and left in ruins.

The killings and mass rape mirror recurring scenes of conflict-related sexual violence that have plagued the DRC for decades.

On Friday, the UN’s Human Rights Office said it had received reports of other cases of sexual violence involving the DRC’s army and its allied forces.

“We are verifying reports that 52 women were raped by Congolese troops in South Kivu, including alleged reports of gangrape,” said Jeremy Laurence, a spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, in a statement Friday.

This week, the M23 rebel group, which has claimed to have captured the city of Goma, called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire after clashes with government forces left nearly 3,000 people killed.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

You May Also Like

World News

It’s not the full 30-day ceasefire in Ukraine that US President Donald Trump demanded – far from it. But it is a deal with...

World News

South Korea grounded firefighting helicopters following a fatal crash on Wednesday as authorities struggle to contain “unprecedented” wildfires that have ravaged the country’s southeast,...

World News

Peruvian President Dina Boluarte has called for general elections to be held on April 12, 2026, saying she hopes the call can “put an...

World News

The Albanian Cabinet decided on Thursday to shut down TikTok for 12 months, blaming the popular video-sharing platform for inciting violence and bullying, especially...